Local chef, Matthew Leivers of The Star Inn the Harbour, has the best dressed oysters in Whitby according to experts at the 2018 Best Dressed Irish Oyster competition.
Matthew’s dish, ‘Rich man poor man’, wowed a panel of judges at the national competition which took place in London this month.
Matthew’s dish of Guinness battered oysters, with black pudding, celiarac and apple remoulade, with apples, celery cress, fresh horseradish and fennel pollen was praised by the judges for his impressive combination of flavours.
12 chefs from across the UK competed in the 2018 Best Dressed Irish Oyster competition and finalists from top restaurants including The Dairy, Wright Brothers and Oyster Shack went head-to-head in a live final at Henry Harris’ The Hero of Maida, dressing their oysters for panel of esteemed judges, including Elizabeth Carter, Editor of The Good Food Guide, author and foodie Joe Warwick, and chefs Bobby Groves and Patrick Powell, as well as an audience of industry titans.
The tension was high and the expertise and creative flair evident as guests enjoyed a host of oyster dishes, including devilled oysters, oysters with pickled vegetables and even a dessert oyster – all washed down with Porterhouse Brewing Company’s Oyster Stout.
Judges were looking for two category winners – hot and cold – and an overall Best Dressed Irish Oyster winner. Thomas Browne, Head Chef at Decatur London, won Best Hot for his New Orleans Chargrilled Oysters. Conor Dalton, Sous Chef at Five Fields, reigned supreme winning both Best Cold and Best Dressed Irish Oyster 2018.
To sample Matthew’s cooking, visit The Star Inn The Harbour in Whitby – he may even recreate his winning dish!
The 12 Best Dressed Irish Oyster finalists included:
- Mark Wadsworth – Riddle & Finns, Brighton, Sussex
- Conor Dalton – Five Fields, Mayfair, London
- Thomas Browne – Decatur, London
- Nathan Richardson – The Guinea Grill, Mayfair, London
- Doug Grigg – Oyster Shack, Bigbury, Devon
- Mark Taft – Assheton Arms, Downham, Lancashire
- Matthew Leivers – The Star Inn The Harbour, Whitby, Yorkshire
- Karol Marciszewski – Fancy Crab, Marylebone, London
- Mark O’Brien – The Dairy, Clapham, London
- Andy Wood – Wrights Brothers, Borough, London
- Daniel Plumb – Oyster Shack, Bigbury, Devon
- Dovydas Vasiovas – Wrights Brothers, Battersea, London